People experience tooth loss for a wide range of reasons, including dental trauma, gum disease, poor oral hygiene, and tooth decay. There are several restorative dental options available to address tooth loss. Many patients choose dental implants for their durability, appearance, and dental health benefits. If you are missing one or several teeth, you may want to consider dental implants as an effective, natural-looking solution for tooth loss.
At Design Dental in North Liberty, IA, Dr. S. Jeremy Tu restores dental implants with dental crowns, dentures, and dental bridges to create a more stable and balanced smile. Implants are designed to replace the natural tooth root and support a custom dental restoration that allows you to smile confidently again. With a well placed dental implants, patients can restore full function to their smile.
If you are missing one or more teeth, visit Design Dental to explore your tooth replacement options and determine if dental implants are right for you.
Dental Implant Process
We use advanced dental technology to plan and execute your dental implant treatment. Receiving dental implant will require multiple visits to our North Liberty dentist office. Dr. Tu may work in coordination with a local oral surgeon for the surgical phase of the implant procedure. The steps of your implant process depend on your unique dentistry needs.
- Preparation: If you have gum disease, decay, or insufficient bone tissue, our team will address these issues before your implant procedure.
- Placing the implant: In many cases, Dr. Tu works with an oral surgeon for the placement of your dental implants.
- Healing phase: On average, implants need 3-6 months to heal and fuse with the jaw bone fully. Our team will monitor your progress to ensure your implants are healing appropriately.
- Final restoration: Once the implants have fused with your jaw, Dr. Tu will place an abutment and restore your smile with a custom made restoration.
Candidacy for Dental Implants
In most cases, ideal candidates for dental implants will need to have an adequate amount of bone mass in their jaw. Bone mass is crucial to the success of the implant procedure. Over time, when a tooth is not replaced, patients can experience bone loss in the jaw.
If a patient experiences significant bone loss, they may need bone graft surgery in order to undergo the dental implant process.
In addition, smokers or tobacco users may not be ideal candidates for dental implants because smoking can interfere with the body’s ability to heal and fight infection. Talk with our team or your primary care physician about safe and effective ways to quit smoking.
To determine candidacy for dental implants, schedule a consult with Dr. Tu at Design Dental in North Liberty, IA. Whether you require replacing one, several, or a full mouth of teeth, Dr. Tu can work with you to explore your options and recommend the best solution for your needs. During your consultation, Dr. Tu can explore your options, review your medical history, discuss your budget and goals to determine if implants are right for you.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are small titanium posts that are surgically implanted into the jaw. Depending on the number and location of missing teeth, implants are restored using a dental crown, denture, or bridge.
Dental implants can offer a wide range of benefits for patients with missing teeth, including:
- Improves self-confidence: missing teeth can cause you to feel embarrassed about your smile. Implants can help restore your smile and allow you to smile confidently again.
- Improves speech: missing teeth can affect the way you speak, making it difficult to pronounce certain words. Implants help restores full function to your smile, allowing you to speak with confidence.
- Permanent solution for tooth loss: implants can last many years with proper care and maintenance.
- Natural looking smile: dental restorations are customized to meet your cosmetic needs.
- Can replace one or more missing teeth: depending on your needs, dental implants can replace one tooth, several teeth, or a full mouth of teeth.
Dental Implant FAQs
What if I’ve lost multiple teeth?
While implants can definitely replace a single missing tooth, they aren’t limited to just them. Unlike bridges, which can only address one to three teeth in a row or full dentures which only address complete tooth loss, we can use implants to secure prosthetics, addressing full or partial tooth loss.
What does placing a dental implant involve?
First, an oral surgeon will surgically insert the post (made from biocompatible titanium) into the jaw. Over a period of four to six months, the bone tissue and post will bond. The new tooth is then secured like a natural one. Next, we place an abutment that holds a dental crown in place, restoring the new tooth. If multiple posts were implanted, then we will secure a custom-made and lifelike prosthetic.
Does my oral health impact my candidacy for a dental implant?
Yes. We will look at two important factors: gum health and jawbone density. If you suffer from advanced gum disease, also known as periodontitis, the implant can fail. Likewise, if you don’t have enough jawbone tissue (which can deteriorate following tooth loss) you may need a bone grafting procedure prior to placement.
What maintenance does an implant require?
Instead of removing a prosthetic for soaking, you will simple clean your teeth via brushing and flossing daily. You will also need to see the dentist every six months, or as recommended, for a checkup and cleaning. There is no special upkeep or products you need to keep your dental implant in good condition.
Replace Missing Teeth with Dental Implants in North Liberty, IA
Don’t let missing teeth be the reason you hide your smile. Our team at Design Dental offers a full range of tooth replacement options to restore function, health, and beauty to your natural smile.
Learn more about how dental implants can benefit you at Design Dental. If you are looking for dental implants in North Liberty, IA, visit Dr. Tu for a consultation. To schedule an appointment, call (319) 208-6095 or request an appointment online. We are currently accepting dental implant patients from the surrounding areas including Cedar Rapids, IA.