Gum disease is one of the most diagnosed dental issues among patients. When left untreated, gum disease can increase a patient’s risk of bone and tooth loss. Prevention and early diagnosis of gum disease are key to maintaining the health and function of your teeth and gums.
North Liberty restorative dentist Dr. S. Jeremy Tu provides affordable periodontal therapy services for patients with various stages of gum disease. At Design Dental, Dr. Tu believes in providing modern, conservative solutions and treatments to help patients restore excellent gum health.
Periodontal Care in North Liberty, IA
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a bacterial infection of the gums that can impact the health and function of the bone, teeth, and surrounding soft tissue. If gum disease is left untreated, it can affect the tooth roots and lead to tooth and bone loss.
Some studies suggest that gum disease can directly impact your overall health. Poor gum health or dental health may increase a patient’s risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
As an experienced dentist in North Liberty, IA, Dr. Tu routinely checks for signs of gum disease during every routine dental exam. Regular visits to our office allow our team to identify and monitor any early warning signs of complex dental issues.
The Benefits of Early Periodontal Treatment
- Reduces painful or uncomfortable symptoms: Periodontal therapy treatment addresses the root of the problem, which can alleviate symptoms associated with gum diseases, such as halitosis, bleeding gums, and receding gums.
- Minimizes the cost of care: The earlier gum disease is address, the less likely you will require extensive treatment to repair your smile.
- Improves the aesthetic of the smile: Restoring your gums and teeth back can enhance the appearance of your smile. Establishing a healthy foundation also allows you to receive cosmetic dentistry to improve the overall appearance of your smile.
Common Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease is caused by bacteria in plaque that leads to an infection in the gums. Risk factors such as age, smoking, medication, a weakened immune system, and family history can increase a patients risk of gum disease.
Be aware of the signs of gum disease. If you notice one or more of these changes in your dental health, be sure to contact your dental care team at Design Dental.
Signs of Gum Disease:
- Sensitive gums
- Bleeding gums
- Tooth loss
- Bad breath
- Shifting teeth
- Gum recessions
- Red, swollen gums
Treatments for Gum Disease in North Liberty, IA
Dr. Tu provides a full range of advanced periodontal therapy solutions for patients with gum disease. Treatment planning begins with a thorough dental exam performed by Dr. Tu. During the dental exam, Dr. Tu will asses the condition of the gums, surrounding teeth, and bone to determine the stage of gum disease and the extent of the damage.
From there, our team will build a comprehensive treatment plan that eliminates disease gum disease, restore damaged teeth and gums, and minimize the risk for re-infection.
Treatment options for gum disease may include:
- Scaling and Root Planing: This is an intensive deep cleaning of the areas above and below the gum line. It is considered a conservative treatment option for early-stage gum disease.
- Antibiotic therapy: If your gums are infected, antibiotic treatment can be prescribed to kill harmful bacteria and allow the gums to heal correctly.
- Gum Surgery: In advanced cases, gums surgery is recommended to restore function and health to the gums.
Gum Disease FAQs
Is gum disease treatment painful?
No. Treatment for gum disease is not painful. In fact, most patients say that treatment for their bleeding gums felt like a deep gum massage. Some patients report that during their treatment they felt no discomfort and barely felt the dentist in their mouth. We will also use local anesthesia to prevent pain and discomfort.
Can I get rid of gum disease at home?
You can take steps to alleviate gum disease, and its symptoms, but you can not rid yourself of gum disease without the help of a dentist. Getting treated as soon as you notice symptoms will greatly reduce your treatment costs, visits to the dentist for treatment, and more.
Is periodontal therapy covered by dental insurance?
Periodontal therapy can be covered by insurance because it is a necessary treatment for good oral health. Although, insurance companies are different and have the final decision if they will cover treatment or not. Contact your dental insurance provider for details and ask them to cover your costs.
Schedule A Gum Disease Screening Today
We invite you to visit Dental Design in North Liberty, IA to explore your treatment options for gum disease. We proudly serve patients in North Liberty, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and surrounding communities. To schedule an appointment, call (319) 284-4361 or request your appointment online.