You have several options to choose from if you need to replace a whole arch of teeth. You can select between traditional dentures and denture implants. However, they each possess different pros and cons. Dr. S. Jeremy Tu is a talented dentist in North Liberty, IA, who can help you decide which option is best for you and your oral health.
In most cases, he will suggest dental implants since they offer more benefits. However, not everyone will qualify for them. Dr. Tu feels that it is important for each patient to know the pros and cons of each choice so they can make the best decision for their oral health.
Dental Implants vs. Dentures
Traditional dentures are artificial teeth that have been available for many years. They are removable and used to replace most or all of the teeth on an arch. They are made of a pink acrylic base that supports the denture teeth. Full dentures rest directly on the gums and use suction to remain in place. Partial dentures use metal clasps that go around the remaining teeth to stay in place.
- Less expensive than dental implants
- The process to make them is fairly quick (less than a month)
- Does not require any invasive procedures
- Can still use them even if you experience some level of bone loss
- Not very stable, may slip around or fall out
- May cause slurred speech
- They are bulky and will take some time to get used to
- Must avoid certain foods
- Will not stop bone deterioration
- May require adhesive to remain in place
- Will put pressure on any remaining teeth
- Bone loss will alter facial features over time
- Will need to be replaced and/or relined eventually
- Do not feel like natural teeth
- Will not function like natural teeth
A dental implant is a metal post that requires surgical placement in the jaw. A patient needs as many as eight dental implants to support the implant overdenture. Once they are in the jaw, they will fuse with the surrounding bone in about three to six months. Next, a dental lab will make the custom denture then the dentist will attach it to the implants.
- Number one dentist recommended solution for tooth loss
- Over a 95% success rate
- The implants should last a lifetime if cared for properly
- Implant dentures will function like natural teeth
- Your new teeth will look and feel like real teeth
- The implants will preserve the jawbone
- The natural structure of your face will remain intact
- The denture is stable and will never slip around or fall out
- Will not cause slurred speech
- Does not require adhesive or denture cream
- Requires little to no eating restrictions
- Denture implants cost a lot more than dentures
- The dental implant process may take up to a year to complete
- The process involves a surgical procedure
- You must be in good oral and overall health to qualify for dental implants
To learn more about your options, contact Design Dental in North Liberty, IA, to schedule a consultation with Dr. Tu.