Headaches, jaw pain, and worn teeth are all common signs of TMJ disorder. The exact cause of TMJ disorder is often difficult to diagnose because TMJ disorder is often the result of multiple factors, such as genetics, dental trauma, and arthritis.
In many cases, the symptoms of TMJ disorder can be relieved through exceptional patient care, early diagnosis, and detailed treatment planning.
As a Dawson trained dentist, Dr. S. Jeremy Tu has a profound understanding of the way the bite functions. For patients who notice a change in their dental health, Dr. Tu can diagnose and treat TMJ disorder in our North Liberty, IA dentist office. If you are experiencing any symptoms of TMJ disorder, visit Design Dental.
Common Signs of TMJ Disorder
Patients who grind their teeth may be exhibiting a sign of TMJ disorder. In some patients, teeth grinding may even reduce their risk of developing TMJ disorder. Constant stress to the teeth and bite can exacerbate the jaw joints, which can lead to feelings of pain or discomfort.
Dr. Tu will evaluate the fit, function, and appearance of your bite to identify signs of TMJ disorder. The key to improving your dental health and restoring balance to your smile is accurate diagnosis and personalized treatment planning.
At Design Dental we work with you to improve the health and function of your smile. If you notice one or more of the following symptoms, you may want to consider visiting our dental office for a consultation.
Signs of TMJ:
- Facial pain
- Tenderness or pain in the jaw
- Neck pain
- Worn or flat teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Headaches, especially in the morning
Treating TMJ Disorder in North Liberty, IA
The effects of TMJ disorder can be relived through a range of different avenues. The type of treatment a patient receives will depend on the underlying cause of their symptoms.
- Custom Sleepguards: Sleep guards are similar to mouthguards in the sense that they prevent the biting surfaces from the teeth from coming together.
- Orthodontics: For crooked or misaligned teeth, orthodontics can help straighten the smile and reduce the risk of TMJ disorder. Orthodontics can gently reposition the teeth and allow the biting surfaces of the teeth to make proper contact.
- Dental Crowns: Crowns can repair damaged teeth and restore a balanced bite.
- Reshaping the Teeth: Reshaping the teeth can help achieve a more balance bit and relieve TMJ pain.
- Oral Surgery: In advanced cases, oral surgery is needed to repair damaged jaw joints.
Relieve Pain and Protect Your Dental Health
When left untreated, TMJ disorder can affect your quality of life. It can lead to painful and uncomfortable symptoms that may begin to take a toll on your overall well being.
If you are a patient dealing with symptoms of TMJ disorder, our team at Design Dental can provide personalized care to help you find relief. The goal of treatment is to relieve your symptoms, address damage, and provide you with the tools and knowledge needed to care for your smile.
If you are experiencing headaches, facial pain, and jaw discomfort, contact us today. To schedule an appointment, call (319) 208-6095 or request an appointment online.