Dental Implants An Overview
Every day people lose a tooth for various reasons including trauma, gum disease, poor oral hygiene, and tooth cavities. Actually, not many people make it through life with a full set of natural teeth. The average adult between the ages of 20 and 64 has three or more missing or decayed teeth according to the American Dental Association.
Solutions to replacing teeth are important to help these people regain optimal oral health. There are several options available to help rebuild a smile that is missing teeth, but none are as durable as dental implants.
Dr. S. Jeremy Tu highly recommends this advanced treatment option when teeth are damaged or missing. At Design Dental, we offer many implant solutions that will be personalized to your needs and oral health. We are currently offering dental implants services to patients from Cedar Rapids, IA.
A dental implant is one of three components that make up the entire replacement tooth. The implant itself is a small titanium post that is placed in the jaw. It will act as the missing tooth’s root and will support a customized dental prosthesis.
A small piece called an abutment is attached to the implant and the dental restoration is secured to it. Dental implants can support a dental crown, fixed dental bridge, partial denture or full denture.
There are many benefits to dental implants:
- They have a success rate of up to 98%
- They are the only replacement option that will look, feel, and function like natural teeth
- Implants can last a lifetime if cared for properly
- They are permanent and stable so they will not slip around making speaking and eating easier
- They do not require healthy teeth to be compromised
- Implants replace the tooth at the root preventing bone loss