Do you have discolored teeth? Do you wish you had a whiter smile?
Millions of Americans are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth. However, there are several teeth whitening treatment options that can last with the right professional dental care. But how do teeth discolor in the first place, and what benefits can teeth whitening offer?
What Causes Discolored Teeth?
- Certain Foods and Drinks: Beverages like tea, coffee, soda as well as certain fruits can stain teeth
- Smoking and Tobacco Use: The tar and nicotine found in tobacco products can darken teeth. Tar darkens tooth enamel and nicotine creates yellow extrinsic stains.
- Medication: Some medications like antihistamines, antipsychotics, and high blood pressure medication may cause teeth to darken in color.
- Age: Over time, the enamel covering teeth can wear down, revealing an underlayer called dentin. Dentin is darker than enamel, so it makes teeth appear discolored.
- Trauma: If an injury or hit has been made to a tooth or teeth, they may discolor. Chipped teeth can also discolor because of dentin.
Teeth whitening options found in supermarkets and drugstores are not usually effective enough to target intrinsic and extrinsic staining. Treatment carried out by professionals can show real results.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening not only improves the appearance of teeth but can also:
- Improve oral health
- Be easily maintained
- Boost self-confidence
- Reverse signs of aging
There are both in-office and take-home teeth whitening options at Design Dental for patient’s convenience and comfort.
Teeth Whitening Options
Before treatment, Dr. Jeremy Tu will assess tooth enamel and gum health to ensure that teeth are not too sensitive to whitening agents. He will also take a patient’s oral health goals and budget into consideration before treatment is chosen.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
This treatment option makes it easy and convenient for patients who want results in under an hour. During treatment professional bleaching gel is applied to teeth up to 3 times in 15-minute increments to brighten teeth by up to 8 shades. In-office teeth whitening can also be a great option for events like birthdays and graduations.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening
We can provide a custom take-home teeth whitening option for patients who want personalized treatment in the comfort of their own home. Dental impressions of teeth are made to create a whitening tray that conforms to teeth and provides effective treatment.
Schedule an Appointment
If you want a whiter and brighter smile, don’t wait. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Tu and the professionals at Design Dental.